Friday morning was sunny and already beginning to be hot and sticky as Mom and I together with Kris's mom Kasia met for our hair and makeup appointments. Breakfast and the salon were on the 35th floor of a new office tower right in the centre and afforded us fantastic views over the city. We shared a bottle of prosecco as the stylist and makeup artist got us dolled up for the big day. Now that's the kind of hair appointment I could use every day!
We made a brief stop at the Marriott to see how the girls were getting along before heading back to our apartment to get the stragglers up and out of bed and ready to go. Then it was off to the church.
There is a tradition here of decorating the bridal couple's car with branches and flowers:
And so it was waiting outside the church as the guests arrived. Kris was there, looking very relaxed and calm, as everyone gathered in anticipation of the bride and her ladies. Very soon, the VIP cars arrived and everyone hustled inside lest the groom see his bride before the ceremony! My words cannot describe how she looked or how Bruce and I felt when we saw her so I will let the photos say it:
She was radiant.
The service was a little different than we are used to in Canada: no ushering of the guests by the groomsmen who waited at the front with Kris. Nanny was escorted in by her eldest grandson Mark while I was walked up the aisle by my handsome son David. Then it was time for the bridesmaids, and finally the bride and her dad. I could see his eyes were moist but he held himself together; she was relaxed, graceful and smiling, and Kris, well, you could see the love on his face as she approached the altar.
What followed can best be described as a blend of traditional and relaxed, in English and Polish, with classical and contemporary music and spontaneous bursts of applause throughout. It was delightful, relaxed and a perfect reflection of the personalities and cultures of the bride and groom.
The service was conducted by the local Anglican vicar with assistance from the Protestant Reformed pastor whose church we had "borrowed" for the ceremony. Both clergymen were warm and kind and put everyone at ease. Another difference was that Bruce and I did not "give her away"'until halfway through the service, just before the vows. We kind of messed that up, as there traditionally is no rehearsal either! We could have used one! Kris professed his vows in English and Angela spoke hers in Polish; they held each other's gaze throughout, and when Angela finished there was another burst of applause.
In addition to the traditional organ processional, service music was provided by Angela's choir, Sound'n Grace, who filled the church with their soaring harmonies on 3 contemporary gospel tunes and finished with a jazz version of "This is the Day That the Lord Has Made". Toes were tapping and heads were bobbing in time.
The service finished with an Irish blessing, spoken first in Polish and then in English by the pastor, and then the bride and groom led us out to the organ recessional: the theme song from "Indiana Jones", Kris's choice!
On leaving the church, as is traditional here, the bridal couple were showered with small coins, like our pennies. The bride and groom must pick up all the coins themselves and not leave any behind, to ensure their prosperity.
Everyone then lined up outside the church to receive greetings and congratulations from their guests and received the customary bouquets of flowers and envelopes of cash. Several of Angela's present and former students attended the service and waited patiently in line to give her a hug. The little girls in particular were in awe of their Princess Bride teacher and shyly offered their flowers.
Then it was off to the reception. I will save that posting till tomorrow - lots to tell and I am still recovering 2 days later!















Such a wonderful narrative of a super special event and moment in our family's collective memory. Thank you so much for all the postings. As always I wish I had been there but this is the next best thing. I'm sure Mom was absolutely radiant in her joyous involvement of the whole event and I wish I had been on her arm supporting and enjoying the moment. As we speak the tears are welling up and I am at a loss to express my adoration and joy and love for my precious life's gift of such a special niece and her life partner. I miss her so much and send her my undying love and never ending pride of where she and the rest of the kids have so far taken their lives. I am so impressed with all of them! May their lives be filled with never ending joy and growth and love as they take this new step in their life's journey. Love all of you and know that this will be a moment in our lives never diminished by time or circumstance. Can't wait for more photos and memories to come flooding through and can't wait to finish the production and mastering of my CD amongst the delays and demands of our studio owner who is currently dealing with multiple demands on his time and facilities at this very busy concert and festival season on Vancouver Island and locally. I will be sending the finished product to Ange and Kris and will be sure to get multiple copies for the family. The breadth of the number of songs and variety of writers changes weekly but am so looking forward to putting something together we can be proud of that will be enjoyed by all. Stay in touch and keep me posted. Will chat again.
ReplyDeleteLove as always.
Uncle Dak
What a beautiful bride and a wonderful celebration! Wishing Angela and Kris a lifetime of happiness together.
ReplyDeleteSending you all hugs! Enjoy your time together!
Hugs,
nora